23 June, 2010

Interview Nº8 - Aymeric Bergada du Cadet

"The french were bred to die for love" but apparently Aymeric Bergada du Cadet has different plans...

Discovering him feels exactly like acquire a new item to a cabinet de curiosités. His aesthetic and sense of style are a complete rarity nowadays, which put him on the spotlight of our attention. When I first looked at him exuberance and decadence from a lost world immediately came to my mind, characters like Dorian Gray or la Duchesse de Guermantes seemed to be present not even on the way he looks but also in the way he acts.

No one better than himself to tell us all about it..
Who is Aymeric Bergada du Cadet?
I don't know, long time no see.

How would you describe your style?
It could be like a 19th century opium smoker baron who goes out to a 70's disco party. My style is a weird interpretation of history. I m playing with dandy and diva style, mixing them together. I can also play with old, bad taste like 70's b movie
women or 90's couture, which I style in a more serious, chic way.

On shopping. What criteria do you follow?
I just have to fall in love with a piece! To be honest in general my only limits are synthetic fabrics, sports wear and other "practical" clothes. In general i buy only vintage except for really special pieces.

Do you consider yourself a rara avis?
Yes and no! there are not many people who are theatrical to this point but i know a lot of other exotic birds who have a really personal sense of style.

Where do you find inspiration to set up your toilletes?
In general it just comes together while i'm dressing, I see the inspiration when I am finished. I can be inspired by a lot of things: movies, specially silent and 30's and 70's movies, historical characters…
I am inspired by all types of overly decorated men. Gypsies, maharajas, princes, old army uniforms, hussards, napoleonian army, 70's old gay queens, magicians, vampires…….but also sometimes women. I love playing with caricatures.

What are your current ocupations?
I am a stylist. I do jewellery and costumes and I have a performing troup who is called House Of Drama, we do events, shows and a lot of different creative things…

What is lifestyle?
To act in life.

What is your idea of earthly happiness?
My friends and champagne or to be locked in a room with a book and Stravinsky.

Your most marked characteristic?
My attitude!

How do you regard fashion?
I am always interested in discovering new things and it's good to see new creations, but I think it's important to be detached in order to be really creative.

What is style about?
Fashion is about the clothes and style is about the way you interpret them. Fashion is always moving but style stays, it is only reinvented.

Who are your dead references?
Marchesa Casati first, because I think it's difficult to find more theatrical and extreme way of seeing life as she saw herself as a work of art. Her lifestyle was her only way to express. Marlene Dietrich also for the beauty of controlling her image to the extreme.
I m not fascinated with natural beauties, I am more impressed by people who make themselves beautiful...
Also Rudolph Valentino, Erté , Gustave Moreau, Yves Saint Laurent.

And living ones?
Grace Jones and Catherine Baba, who is one of the most flamboyant and beautiful people I know.

Your favourite historical characters
Louis II of Bayern, for his amazing sense of style. I am really touched by his dramatic life.
Also Comtesse de Castiglione as I am mad about the Napoleon III period.
I fancy Francis I and the demi-mondaines of the beginning of 20th century in Paris.

Your most treasured belonging?
I love all of them, I'm attached to beauty. It's impossible to choose.

The future?
Fabulous.

How would you like to die?
With a good look and a Sarah Bernhardt pose.

What is your present state of mind?
Historical and hysterical.

What is your motto?
The people around me.