16 July, 2009

Beverley Talks:


"My friends Pauline and Philippe de Rothschild and Cappy Badrutt - wife of Johannes Badrutt, owner of Palace Hotel in St. Moritz - told me glorious tales of Alexis de Redé's Oriental Ball.
I met Redé when Philippe de Rothschild and I ran into him in a restaurant in Paris. Cappy had told me at length about de Redé's beautiful shoes and his long thin feet so when we were introduced, instinctively that's where I looked! Maybe he was used to it, as he was quite charming to me, in spite of my rudeness at looking at his feet and not his face. Philippe didn't particularly like him, his interest was more in intellectuals, artists, writers, or interesting scoundrals and, of course, there was the big feud between Pauline and Marie-Hélène de Rothschild, and Alexis was very close to Marie-Hélène. As I recall, feud revolved around Alexandre the hairdresser."
by Beverley Jackson